Tuesday 17 November 2015

Doctor Who Festival

Hello, fellow whovians!

Yesterday I went to Day 2 of the Doctor Who festival.




As soon as the first panel was over, I rushed straight to the costumes! After standing in a line for about 20 minutes, I finally got the chance to get up close to the screen used costume variant used for the Magician’s Apprentice and the Witch’s Familiar. I was happy to finally find out that the hoodie worn with this variant is indeed the BLUE variant! 

Thanks, Tristan Maddocks for the photo!

I also had a chance to see those lovely grey check trousers up close.


Moving on from that, I ran to the new velvet variant. Having found the velvet already, I wasn’t to interested about that. I wanted to know three things. First, where the new series 9 lining was from.

Thanks, Tristan Maddocks for the photo!

As you may know, the series 8 lining was quite fragile, and from my own personal experience of handling the lining (and wearing it with my own coat), I can say that it couldn’t hold up to all the action it would need to see on set, so for this reason, as well as the quantity issue, it was changed to a more durable lining that is red shot with black. I have now been given a tip by Ray Holman where this lining has come from, and have now found it.


As usual, if you would like to get some, get in touch!

The other thing I wanted to clear up was the buttons. As you may have noticed, one of the changes for series 9 was the addition of a red button on both cuffs of the coat.


As for the velvet coat, the buttons are actually mismatched, one shiny and one matte!


Ray has also told me where these buttons are from. I have a supply of both matte and shiny ones. Unfortunately, they aren’t available online though!




I was also interested in the new waistcoat worn with the velvet. From promotional pictures, I thought that the waistcoat was a blue colour, and I was shocked to find out it is actually a black waistcoat!



The waistcoat is from T.M. Lewin! After going on their website I have managed to find it! 

While talking to Ray, I managed to catch ModernBoy from instagram for a photo!



I also met with DoctorWhoCollector himself, one of the first clients to receive my Series 8 lining!



I was very jealous to see his screen accurate Paul Smith jumper :-) I also couldn’t resist getting a photo with Ray Holman!



After asking all my questions, it was time for the Cosplay Showcase. After finding out I had got to the final, I walked to the production village. The contest was held by Christel Dee from Doctor Who - the Fan Show. I ended up in the 11-16 age category. She asked me a bit about my costume, and I mentioned that I spent 4 months looking for the exact lining, then custom dyed it. It was for this reason, along with most of the screen accurate items, that I won the contest in my age group!



And if it wasn’t good enough for Ray to approve the costume, I also got it approved by the man himself - Peter Capaldi!



‘Till the next time :)

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that IS surprising to know that the waistcoat is black. Does that mean that the trousers worn with the waistcoat are also black?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the trousers are black! They are from Paul smith.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Why am I not surprised... Peter has quite the affinity for Paul Smith. Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  2. Are those black buttons in the basket actually the backside of the red buttons? Sorry for all the questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem :) Yes, but only the back of the SHINY buttons are actually black, the matte ones are red both sides :)

      Delete
  3. Last question, I promise! Which cuff has the shiny red button and which has the matte button? I'm in the process of making my own coat, and I want to get it right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, don't hesitate to ask! The left cuff has the shiny button, and the right cuff is the matte button. Good luck on your coat! I'd be interested to see the finished result! Do please send me an email once it's done :-)

      Delete
  4. These are all amazing finds! Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, which waistcoat is it? I went to the site but I'm no good with colors... Is it the Owen waistcoat per chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Palmer Waistcoat. Last time I checked they were still available. Good luck! :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks a ton! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. Where are the trousers from??? Dying grab a pair of those for months

    ReplyDelete