Saturday 17 October 2015

The Velvet Coat

Hello, fellow Whovians! 

I recently bought the latest issue of the Doctor Who Magazine, as I had heard about there being an interview by Ray Holman, the Costume designer for the 11th Doctor, and now for the 12th Doctor. It was a very interesting article, but what I was most looking forward to was the scans of fabric included in the sea of pictures. Or, rather, looking forward to the labels stuck to them. Once I bought the magazine, I ripped open the packaging, and flicked straight to the interview. at the bottom, I saw two samples, a burgundy and a green, of velvet that later was confirmed by Ray himself to be the very velvet used for the new velvet coat seen in pictures.



As the sticker in the picture suggests, the samples are from Holland and Sherry. After googling, I found out that it was not far away from W Bill, where many other Doctor Who fabrics have been sourced from over the years. I was in the area, so I decided to pop in.


Located just next to the shop where “Kingsman: The Secret Service” was filmed, it was quite an easy find. I rang the bell, and came up.

Once I walked out of the lift, I asked the people that worked there if they could show me the sample of the velvet. I was given their book of luxury velvets, and looked inside. 


At first, I didn’t quite believe I was looking at the right fabric, as it appeared way too dark, but after moving it around in the light and comparing it to some photos I had with me, I understood that it was indeed the right velvet!


The fabric itself is made out of a blend of 71% Cotton, and 29% Modal, a semi-synthetic fibre. Modal is used alone or with other fibres (often cotton or spandex) in items such as pyjamas, towels, bathrobes and other things. 

To the touch it is very soft, unlike some other velvets I had seen before this, and I'm sure is a joy to wear once made up into a coat! 


I might be getting a length soon, but until then, I’ll have to do with the samples :)



No comments:

Post a Comment